There are many online tools available out there that make the lives of business owners much easier allowing them to focus on important business related tasks. These tools can be apps or websites like Slack, UpWork or Trello that help business owners communicate with their employees online, or they could be website building tools like CMS platforms. CMS have revolutionized website development and made it available for everyone. So what is it exactly and why is it important? We had SEO for tech industry experts from MiroMind tell us more about it.
What is CMS?
CMS stands for content management system. It is a web-based software that enables anybody with or without programming experience to create, edit and publish content on his or her website. It also allows users to add multimedia elements, new pages or even new sections to their sites through the user interface. It is a tool that allows you to manage and maintain web content easily without being a web developer or knowing how to code HTML. Basically, it is a user-friendly way to interact with a website’s database.
How does it work?
To understand how CMS works, we need to explain briefly how managing traditional websites that use HTML work. Managing HTML websites can be tricky because it requires professional web developers, special software and an abundance of time spent on coding. Even the tiniest mistake can result in broken links and 404 errors. Every time you need to make a change in your website, you need to contact your web developer with your new ideas, he downloads specific files, codes the changes into them and then uploads them on the web. It is restricting, time consuming and web developer fees can be a little on the expensive side.
CMS, on the other hand, allows for a much easier and quicker process. First, you create a website on one of the many CMS platforms, such as WordPress, Joomla or Drupal. Then, you choose a template design for the site. Decide how many pages and menu elements you want and you are ready to publish your content. Whenever you want to make any changes, all you need to do is log into your website, modify, edit or delete the things you want to change and then press publish. You only need to make the changes once and they will be applied to all of the pages on your website. The best user-friendly feature in CMS is WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) which is working with HTML without coding. It works like MS Word and allows users to implement changes in text and layout easily.
Why is it important to your business?
- Control: By using CMS, you can control who can edit and upload content on your business’s website. You can restrict or allow access to certain sections in the site. It also allows you to approve new content before it is published.
- Fresh content all the time: Having the ability to publish content whenever you want is great way of keeping your website ranked high on search engines. It will also give your visitors the ability to comment, like and share, which is another important element for a better ranking.
- SEO friendly: Content management systems will suggest to you better SEO practices that will improve the ranking of your website on search engines. Good CMS will prompt you for optimized titles, meta descriptions and keywords that will help with your SEO strategy.
- Help your clients: CMS will help your visitors search for information on your website by offering built-in search engines. All your new content will be automatically indexed and can be found easily. CMS also enable visitors to save, sort and personalize search results.
- Improve customer service: When using CMS, You can add FAQ, support forms and help sections to provide your visitors with the information, which will help your clients and make them happy.
Which CMS platform is the best for your business?
There are hundreds of platforms out there to choose from including the ones we mentioned: WordPress, Joomla and Drupal. The right one for you depends on your needs, requirements and priorities. Some offer better security, while others adapt to new technologies faster. Research them and all of their features thoroughly before choosing the best one to build your website on.