Search Engine Optimization, or SEO for short, is a crucial part of any marketing strategy. Unfortunately, many businesses neglect the SEO aspect of their online marketing efforts, which results in lack of traffic and sales. However, even those companies that implement SEO strategy often don’t get the results they want to see. If you’re either of these two examples, stick around to learn why and how you should build SEO backlinks to improve your online presence.
What Are SEO Backlinks?
Backlinks are an essential part of Search Engine Optimization. For starters, proper SEO is crucial for ranking your website on the first page of Google, driving organic traffic, as well as building a better reputation for your brand. In other words, the quality of your SEO strategies can make or break your success online and offline.
Besides keywords, another important aspect of SEO are backlinks. Whenever another website links back to your website, that is called a backlink. So, how exactly is this good for your business? Well, the ultimate goal of SEO strategies is to increase traffic and sales. To do so, your website needs to rank as high as possible on Google search. Search Engine Optimization helps you achieve just that through several different methods.
The reason why the method of backlinking is so important is because backlinks are one of the major factors that Google’s algorithm takes into consideration when evaluating your site. Therefore, the quality, number, and relevance of your backlinks helps Google understand how much value your site provides to readers. The more value it offers, the higher it is going to be ranked.
Naturally, one would think that having 100 backlinks is much better than having ten. However, that’s not the case here, since you must keep in mind that quality is more important than quantity. Therefore, it is better to have 10 high quality backlinks from popular, high authority websites, rather than 100 backlinks from random sites that don’t get any traffic. This is because Google’s algorithm has gotten much smarter over the past couple of years and it can recognize when the links are being spammed.
Thus, only genuine backlinks will actually contribute to your site’s ranking on Google search. Before we get started on how you can build backlinks to your site, you need to understand that this cannot be done overnight. It would be much easier if we could just wake up to 100 backlinks already created but, in reality, this method takes a lot of work and effort. Luckily, it is worth it because your efforts will pay of in form of increased traffic and popularity. Without further ado, let’s take a look at how you can successfully build backlinks to your website.
How to Build Backlinks
#1 Create Valuable Content
Before you expect tons of backlinks and traffic, you need to understand the importance of your content. The content on your site needs to be unique, original, and valuable for other people. Otherwise, they wouldn’t have any reasons to backlink to it. If you can create high quality content on popular and important topics that people want to discuss about, you will have much larger chances of success when it comes to backlinking. Besides originality and value, your content needs to meet the highest standards of quality in terms of grammar, punctuation, and other details. Low quality content doesn’t make for a good source, as not many people will link back to a site with spelling and grammar errors.
#2 Implement Other Aspects of SEO
Search Engine Optimization is a complex strategy that involves more than just building backlinks. Another very important aspect of SEO you need to pay attention to are keywords. Therefore, you need to select precise keywords specific to your topic in order to help Google recognize what your page is about. The more specific keywords you use, the better are the chances that Google will show your content to the right target audience. Don’t waste time stuffing your content with random keywords and phrases. To make your SEO effective, you need to use two or three topic-specific keywords that fit naturally into the content.
#3 Learn About Link Metrics
When it comes to SEO backlinking, there are several terms and metrics you need to familiarize yourself with. These metrics are often used to determine the quality of specific links. There are plenty of online management tools you can use to determine link quality and, once you do so, you will come across the following terms:
- Domain rating – Also known as domain authority, domain rating is a metric that shows the strength of a site’s overall backlink profile. This metric takes into consideration both the quality and the quantity of the links, which are presented on a scale of 1 to 100.
- URL Rating – Also known as URL authority, URL rating is a metric that measures the strength of an URL’s backlinking profile. The results of these measurements are also shown on a scale from 1 to 100.
- Reffering Domain – Name for a domain that the backlinks are coming from
Now that you know the basic link metrics and terminology, you can use different link measuring apps and programs to analyze the strength of your backlinks.
#4 Write Proper Anchor Text
Anchor texts are phrases or sentences you tie links to. Unfortunately, many people don’t understand the importance of these little pieces of text. Google’s algorithm scans for anchor texts to determine what you content offers to readers. Therefore, you need to make your anchor texts specific and valuable. For example, instead of tying a link to a phrase such as “click here,” tie the link to a longer anchor text such as “click here to download our latest cake recipe.” There is an obvious difference between the two, as the second example is more specific and tells the reader exactly what they’re going to get. Also, make sure your anchor text includes the main keyword, as that will help increase the relevance of your site in Google’s eyes.
#5 Get Links From The Right Sites
As we already explained, obtaining backlinks from sites with little to no traffic won’t make any difference in your SEO results. What you need to do is look for ways to get popular, high authority, and reputable sites to backlink to your content. This is a bit challenging but it’s not impossible to achieve if your website provides value and originality. Here are several methods you can use to find yourself some good quality backlinks. Also you can visit this SEO Backlink Guide for building good quality links. Here we go:
- Visit forums – Go on different forums such as Quora or Reddit and search for your topic. Find people who are interested in these topics and who are looking for the content your site offers. Interact with these people and let them know that your site has a lot of valuable information they can use. Remind them to backlink to your page if they decide to use your content as a source.
- Establish social media presence – Being present on social media is very important, as it makes it easier to interact with a wider audience. Make sure to engage with people who share the same interests on a daily basis. The more people you reach, the bigger are the chances that some of them will use your content as a source or example on their blog, thus providing you a good backlink. It is also recommended to target bloggers and site owners in your niche and contact them for a collaboration. You can simply agree to write an article about one of their topics and backlink to them in exchange for them doing the same thing.
- Start Guest Blogging – Guest blogging is one of the best ways to build good backlinks to your site but it takes the most effort. Basically, guest blogging is posting your blog on another page and linking back to your site. The point of this is to find pages with a lot of traffic. If you’re new to this and you don’t want to start with big sites, you can start small and grow from there. Make sure to use an online tool to check how much traffic a site gets before contacting them regarding a guest blog request. The point is to find a popular website in your niche whose audience would be interested in your content as well. Once you find the right site, contact them and pitch your guest blog idea by presenting the benefits both of you will get from it. Keep in mind that not everyone will accept your proposals so you will need a lot of patience and persistence if you want to succeed in guest blogging.
Search Engine Optimization does sound complex at first but if you take the right steps to learn proper strategies, you won’t have issues ranking your website on any search engine. The most important thing when it comes to implementing these strategies is to stay organized and to have a long-term plan. If you still don’t feel like you can do this on your own, you can always contact a professional to help you out. However, it’s not impossible to start from scratch and become an SEO expert through trial and error, as many people have done this before!