The new mobile responsive Joomla 3.8.0 was released today, sharp at 00:17am as planned. With the fresh markup and UI based on Twitter Bootstrap, Joomla 3.8 had been one of the most eagerly awaited releases of this season. But has Joomla 3.8 lived upto its expectations or is it another disastrous attempt by team Joomla to come up with regular updates just for the sake of fulfilling their CMS releases planner? To check that out, we need to install Joomla 3.8 on computer, and test it ourselves.
Why to Install Joomla 3.8 on Computer
First of all, let’s make it clear that, “Joomla 3.8 is not for everyone”. Yes, i thought it wise to quote the Joomla development team, of what they have been persistently insisting prior to the release. But if you still want to take your Joomla 2.5 run websites to the next level, then you must think of installing Joomla 3.8. Its rich features will certainly renovate the website, plus enhance your experience as an administrator as well.
Requirements for Joomla 3.8 Installation
Before you install Joomla 3.8 on your computer, ensure that you have all the updated versions required for the installation process. Here is a list of all the requirements you need to verify before you install Joomla 3.8 on computer:
- PHP My SQL- 5.3.1 and above
- Local Host- XAMP/WAMP/LAMP
- Joomla- Joomla 3.8.0 full stable package
How to Install Joomla 3.8 on Computer
So now you have cross-checked all the requirements for Joomla 3.8 and you OK with it, let us start to install Joomla 3.8 on computer. Download Joomla 3.8.0 package and follow these steps:
#1 Start Local Server
- Run WAMP (Windows) /LAMP (Linux) /XAMPP (All) on your system accordingly. I preferred XAMPP to install Joomla 3.8 on computer, do I have to say why.
#2 Create New Database
- In your web browser’s address bar, enter localhost/phpmyadmin
- Click on “Databases” to create a new database for your new Joomla installation.
- Name the database (my DataBase name: Joomla30) and simply click “Create”.
- After successful creation, you will get a message that database has been created.
- If a database in the same name is present or if you press on the create button more than once, it will give a message that database already exists.
- Check the extreme left side column, you will find the database with the name you just created. That’s enough for setting the database; you don’t have to do anything else for the time being.
#3 Extract Joomla 3.8
- Next, extract the Joomla 3.8 full package, which you had downloaded earlier.
- Extract the ZIP file in the “root” folder. If you are using XAMP, the root folder is htdocs. Access the root folder by XAMP >> htdocs
- Rename the folder to that of the database name for convenience, but you can give any name. (my folder name: Joomla30). Ok, that’s done.
#4 Install Joomla 3.8.0
- In the web browser’s address bar, enter localhost/foldername. (I entered: localhost/Joomla30)
- The page redirects to http://localhost/joomla30/installation/index.php and opens the Joomla 3.8 web installer. (Wow, it looks so elegant.)
- Enter the details accordingly. All fields are mandatory except the description. (my entries: check slide)
- Note that if you wish to choose a preferred language from the drop down list, select it first. I entered all the details and then selected the language. Oops, the page refreshed and I had to fill it again.
- Click Next
- Fill in the hostname and username. You can have your own hostname and username. (my hostname: localhost, username: root, the one Joomla promts)
- Enter the database name, the one you had created in step 2 (my database name: Joomla30).You can even enter a password for the database. Even if it’s not a mandatory field, but its wise to have one, for security reasons. (my password: do_I_have_to_share)
- For Database Type, Table Prefix and Old Database Process, no need to change the default values. (Database Type: MySQLi, Table Prefix: lfk12_, Old Database Process: Backup)
- Click Next
- Install Sample Data if it’s your first time with Joomla CMS. (my entry: Blog English (GB) Sample Data)
- Again, it’s not mandatory to go for an email confirmation, but its wise. Remember you get to see this option, only if, you had filed the email field earlier.
- Recheck all the details and click Install.
Ok that’s it. Your installation will begin shortly and a confirmation message will be displayed across the screen. Before proceeding to the site or admin panel, you have to remove installation folder. (Check slides)
After that, hold your breath and repeat the same what I did. Ctrl + Tab on both Site and Administrator. Enter the proper credentials and log in to your admin panel. and start exploring.
P.S: You are still wondering what’s new in Joomla 3.8 then you are missing out the best part. Check the responsive backend and the cool Joomla 3.8 features. Haven’t installed it on your mobile phone or tablet yet, not a problem. Minimize your browser and test the responsive layout of the frontend as well as the backend.