Hey there, Minecraft fans! Have you ever felt bummed because you couldn’t use your favorite game controller to play Minecraft Java Edition? It’s like wanting to eat pizza but only having a fork – not the best experience, right? Well, I’ve got some great news for you! Even though Minecraft Java Edition doesn’t naturally support game controllers, I’m here to show you a cool trick to get around that.
In this super easy guide, I’ll walk you through how to make your controller work with Minecraft Java Edition on Windows 10/11, Mac, and Linux computers. Plus, I’ll also dive into why sometimes controllers just don’t want to connect, and I’ll share a nifty way to add controller support to Minecraft Bedrock. So, let’s turn those frowns upside down and get your controller game on! 🎮🌟
Using a Third-Party Mod to Add Controller Support to Minecraft Java
Let’s dive into the world of mods to get your controller working with Minecraft Java Edition. Since this version of Minecraft doesn’t automatically play nice with controllers, we’re going to use a handy mod called Controllable by MRCRAYFISH. This mod is like a magic wand that makes your controller and Minecraft become best friends.
#1 Adding Controller Support to Minecraft Java on Windows 10/11
First up, let’s talk controllers. Whether you’ve got a PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Nintendo Switch, or even a SteamDeck, Controllable has got you covered. Here’s a quick rundown of what you need for different controllers:
- Sony PS4 and PS5 Controllers: These need a special app called “DS4Windows” because, you know, Sony and Microsoft are like two different ice cream flavors. They’re both great, but they don’t always mix without a little help.
- Xbox Controllers: If you’re team Xbox, some controllers might need the “Xbox One Wireless Adapter.” But many Xbox controllers will just work like magic right away.
- Nintendo Switch Controllers: For these, you’ll need “BetterJoy” to make them speak the same language as Minecraft.
Now, let’s get to the fun part – setting it all up!
- Grab the Controllable Mod: Head over to the Controllable website and look for the version that matches your Minecraft. Click “Download” – but don’t open it just yet. Patience is key!
- Save it Right: Drag that file onto your Desktop. It’s like putting your favorite snack on the table, ready to eat.
- Get Minecraft Forge: This is like the plate for your snack. Go to the Minecraft Forge website and pick the version that matches your Minecraft. Hit the “Installer” link and save it to, you guessed it, your Desktop.
- Install Forge: Now, open the Forge file and choose “Install client.” Click “OK” and wait for the magic to happen.
- Prep Your Minecraft: If you just updated Minecraft, play a quick round with the keyboard and mouse. It’s like stretching before a big game.
- Add the Mod: Open Minecraft Launcher, make sure “Forge” is selected, and hit “Play.” Then, in the game, click on “Mods” and “Open Mods Folder.”
- Drop the Mod in the Folder: Take the Controllable file and pop it into the “Mods” folder.
- Restart and Play: Close Minecraft and reopen it. You should see Controllable in the mods list. Now you’re ready to rock!
#2 Adding Controller Support in Minecraft on a Mac
- Get Controllable: Head over to the Controllable installation page and click “Download.” Let it do its thing, and once it’s ready, give it a double-click to start the installation process. It’s like opening a treasure chest!
- Move the Mod: Now, you need to move the Controllable file to your Minecraft mods folder. To find it, just type “~/Library/Application Support/Minecraft/mods” in the Spotlight search. If you don’t have a mods folder yet, don’t sweat it; you can create one.
- Launcher Time: Fire up your Minecraft Launcher and click on “Launch Options.” Then, hit “Add New.” Give your new launch option a cool name, like “Controllable,” and choose the Minecraft version you want to set up your controller for.
- Game Directory: See that arrow icon next to “Game Directory”? Click on it and select your Controllable file. Click “Open” and watch the magic unfold.
- Save and Play: Click “Save” and go back to the main menu. Now, expand the menu next to the “Play” button and choose the “Controllable” version. Get ready to play like a pro!
#3 Adding Controller Support to Minecraft on Linux
- Get Controllable: Start by visiting the Controllable installation page and click “Download.” Let it do its thing, and once it’s ready, give it a double-click to start the installation process. It’s like opening a treasure chest of possibilities!
- Move the Mod: Now, you’ll want to move the Controllable file to your Minecraft “mods” folder. Finding it is a breeze. Just use the “
” shortcut. Type in “/.minecraft” in the search box and open or create the “mods” folder.
- Launcher Power: Fire up your Minecraft Launcher and click on “Launch Options.” Then, hit “Add New.” Give your new launch option a slick name, like “Controllable,” and pick the Minecraft version you want to set up your controller for.
- Game Directory Quest: See that arrow icon next to “Game Directory”? Click on it and select your Controllable file. Click “Open” and let the Linux magic do its thing.
- Save and Play: Click “Save” and head back to the main menu. Now, expand the menu next to the “Play” button and choose the “Controllable” version. Get ready to embark on epic Minecraft adventures!
Why Won’t My Controller Connect?
Uh-oh, having trouble getting your controller to play nice with Minecraft? Don’t worry; let’s troubleshoot together. Here are some common hiccups and how to fix them:
- Steam and Java Edition: First things first, if you’re trying to use a controller for Java Edition through Steam, you’re barking up the wrong tree. Java Edition doesn’t have native controller support. You’ll need to install those handy mods we talked about earlier.
- Preferred Controls: Did you set up your preferred controls? Make sure you completed steps 12-13 of the setup process. It’s like tuning your guitar for the perfect sound.
- Steam Misstep: Here’s a classic mix-up. Did you choose “Activate a Product on Steam” instead of “Add a Non-Steam Game” during setup? Go back and choose the right option this time.
- Bluetooth Blues: If you’re having Bluetooth issues, don’t fret. Sometimes, connecting the controller using a cable can do the trick. It’s like plugging in your headphones for better sound quality.
But what if none of these fixes work? It might be a driver issue:
Updating Controller Drivers on Windows:
- Right-click the Windows Start Menu and select “Device Manager” or type “devmgmt.msc” in the search box.
- In the Device Manager, expand the “Xbox Peripherals” section, and right-click the name of your controller.
- From the dropdown menu, select “Update driver.”
- Click “Search Automatically” and follow the on-screen instructions to install the latest drivers. It’s like giving your car a tune-up for better performance.
For Mac Users: Unfortunately, Mac OS doesn’t have native controller drivers. You’ll need to find the latest drivers for your controller online and install them. The exact instructions can vary, so be sure to follow the specific guidance for your controller.
With these tips, you’ll be back to gaming with your controller in no time! 🎮🚀
How to Add Controller Support to Minecraft Bedrock?
Great news for Minecraft Bedrock players – you don’t need any fancy mods to use your controller. It’s as easy as pie, and we’ll show you how to set it up using Steam. Let’s get started:
- Get Steam: Head to the official Steam website and click the “Install Steam” button. Download the installation file and follow the on-screen instructions. It’s like getting your gaming passport.
- Sign In: Once Steam is installed, open the application. You can either create a new account or log in with an existing one.
- Library Time: In the Steam application, find the “Library” section. It’s your gaming HQ.
- Add Minecraft: Click “Add a Game” at the bottom-left corner of your screen. From the menu, select “Add a Non-Steam Game.” This opens up your computer’s file library.
- Find Minecraft Bedrock: Locate the Minecraft Bedrock Edition Launcher file in your Library and give it a double-click. Boom! The game is now added to your Steam.
- Big Picture Mode: Ready for the big reveal? Click the “Big Picture Mode” button at the bottom-right of your Steam Library. It looks like a rectangle with two arrows going in opposite directions.
- Controller Connection: Plug in your controller. For now, you’ll need to use a cable, but you can switch to Bluetooth once everything’s set up.
- Steam Controller Settings: Navigate to “Steam Settings,” then select “Controller Settings.”
- Choose Your Controller: Tick the checkbox next to the type of controller you’re using, and then head back to your Steam Library.
- Minecraft Settings: In your Library, open up Minecraft settings. Click on “Manage Shortcut,” located under the Minecraft picture.
- Customize Controls: Here comes the fun part! Click “Controller Options” to edit your preferred controls. It’s like tuning your guitar for the perfect melody.
With your controller set up, you’re all ready to dive into Minecraft Bedrock with a whole new level of comfort and control. Get out there and craft, mine, and explore like a pro! 🌟🎮🏰
Conclusion: Gamepad Mastery in Minecraft
And there you have it, fellow gamers! Thanks to the magic of Controllable mode, you’ve unlocked the power of using your gamepad with Minecraft Java Edition. It’s like having the perfect tool for an epic adventure.
But what if Controllable isn’t your cup of tea? No worries! You can always search for another mod that suits your needs. Just remember, in the wild world of the internet, there are good mods and not-so-good ones. Watch out for viruses when downloading third-party software. It’s like wearing armor to protect your PC.
For extra security, consider using antivirus software and a VPN to scan any files before you install them. This way, you can enjoy Minecraft with your beloved controller without any worries.
And hey, do you know any trusted sites where you can find the latest controller drivers for Mac computers? Share your wisdom in the comments section below. We’re all in this gaming journey together! 🎮🌟