Dry herb grinders are important because herbs in their natural form are large and unable to fit in most vaporizers; even when they do fit, they often do not vaporize completely. These grinders can either be electric or manual, with each type having their benefits and drawbacks. However, it is important to know that the grinder is the most important tool in any vaporizer, as vaporizers won’t function without it.
In recent years, herb grinders have experienced a massive leap in quality, as a result of the different precision manufacturing processes; as well as the drastic increase in the variety of materials used in constructing these devices. This is why users can now grind herbs at an extremely low cost and great precision, in their homes compared to what they were used to.
Herb grinders are effective for grinding herbs such as coriander, rosemary, thyme, basil, parsley etc., into fine particles for use in the kitchen. They are also used to finely grind cannabis which is used as a recreational drug. As mentioned earlier, these tools can be electric or manual depending on your preference.
If you are an herb grinding enthusiast, and love to grind your herbs until they are perfect with their fineness; then you should go for the manual herb grinder. On the other hand, if you intend to get your herbs finely ground to your preference, with little effort on your part; then visit sharpstoneusa.com to get the electric herb grinder for you.
The Importance of Good Herb Grinders
Herb grinders function by breaking down the herb, thereby providing it with a greater surface area, in order to optimally fill the oven of the vaporizer. This ensures that the oven will heat the herb evenly, and improve the vape production of the herb, as well as its flavor. When herbs are thoroughly ground, they are able to produce a more potent high, as a result of the efficient release of the terpenes and cannabinoids present in the herb. Additionally, well ground herbs help to improve the flow of air in the vaporizer. They also make it easier to gain access to the vapor, through the heated air, that move easily through the ground herbs.
Types of Herb Grinders
There are several types of grinders that serve different purposes for different kinds of people. The major differences in these grinders lie in their main features, which include:
- Manual vs Electric Herb Grinders
- Two-piece vs Three-piece vs Four-piece Grinders
- Small vs Medium vs Large size grinders
- Materials used in constructing the grinders
Manual VS Electric Herb Grinders
Manual grinders require the use of some elbow grease; however, they are easy to use, and they have a few benefits:
- Most of them feature kief catchers which aid the collection of some of the most potent parts of the herb
- They feature their own receptacle, which catches and distributes the already ground herbs.
- They rarely need cleaning.
- They are portable
Electric herb grinders are not as popular as the manual grinder, as they are unable to perform as many functions as the manual grinders. Also, they require high maintenance, that is, they need to be regularly charged and cleaned. Some of their benefits over the manual grinders include:
- They are easy to operate.
- The consistency of the grind is easy to calibrate.
Two-Piece Vs Three-Piece Vs Four-Piece Grinders
- Two-Piece Grinders: They are also known as one compartment grinders. The two-piece grinders are easy to operate, as the grinding chamber is the only available compartment. This type of herb grinder requires the use of a brush in removing the kief that comes from the herbs.
- Three-Piece Grinders: The three-piece grinders feature two compartments. The top compartment is where the herb is inserted, while the bottom compartment helps to retrieve and separate the herbs based on their size. This second compartment is also referred to as the storage compartment, as it can be used to store herbs.
- Four-Piece Grinders: This is the most advanced of the three types of grinders. It is also known as three compartments herb grinders, and it is the favorite choice of most herb grinder users. This tool features a third compartment that has a fine screen which is used to catch and build the kief that comes from the herb.
Small Vs Medium Vs Large Size Grinders
- Small Grinders: Although, this grinder is perfect for portability, it requires small hands to effectively operate as it is small, like the name suggests.
- Medium/Large Size Grinders: If you have average hands, you will find it easy to grind your herbs using the medium to large-sized grinders. These types of grinders chew through the herbs with ease as compared to the small grinders.
Materials Used in Constructing The Grinders
Different materials are used in the construction of herb grinders (that is, the interior and exterior of the tool), however, the most common of them are: metal, wood and acrylic.
- Metal: Metal grinders (usually aluminum or titanium) possess the highest quality of all the types of grinders, which is why they are the most commonly used. Note that the aluminum metal grinder has to be anodized, in order to avoid mixing aluminum particles with your herb. Titanium metal grinders is more commonly used than the aluminum type because it requires little to no cleaning.
- Wood: Wooden grinders help to add some colorfulness to the herb grinder. They are durable and sturdy. They usually come in only one compartment, and are hard to find in the market, because they are expensive.
- Acrylic: Acrylic grinders are the cheapest grinders available, however, they are highly prone to breaking. They are also difficult to clean.
There are several types of herb grinders which makes it difficult to choose the best of these grinders. It is worthy of note that the best herb grinders depend on: how effective the teeth of the tool is grinding, the convenience in gripping the tool for effective grinding, the holes that allow the collection of more pollen. However, a few names that stand out among notable herb grinders are: SantaCruz, Space case etc.
Benefits of Herb Grinders
- It helps to reduce waste
- It helps to save time
- It helps to store these herbs
It helps to enhance the quality of these herbs.